Unlocking the generosity of the people in your church can be challenging at times. Online giving can help, but making the switch from the way you’ve always done things can be intimidating.
Fortunately, the shift online is way easier than you think. To help you get started, let’s break it down into five easy steps.
Here’s the lowdown on how to get started with online giving:
Step 1: Get Your Leadership Excited About It
You can’t make change without getting leadership on board first. The good news is that there are many, many reasons online giving is a fantastic idea for a church. Here are three of the best reasons:
- Online giving has no boundaries: People can give anywhere, anytime, from the convenience of their smartphone, laptop, or tablet. (Online platforms can even help you process checks for those who still prefer to give the old-fashioned way!) This expands the possibilities of giving far beyond Sunday morning and the four walls of your church building.
- Online giving will turbocharge your giving: The research shows that churches that offer an online giving option increase overall donations by 32%. In addition, donors that set up recurring donations give 42% more annually compared to one-time donations.
- Online giving goes beyond the cash factor: Giving online has an impact beyond just finances by helping people feel connected to each other, to the church, and to God. This is important in a time when, despite our ability to connect online, people feel lonelier and more isolated than ever.
We recommend presenting these reasons to your leadership team and answering any questions that they might have. If you’re considering a tool like Digigiv, you can also reach out to our team for more details about its benefits and features so that your presentation is as convincing as possible.
Step 2: Choose an Online Giving Platform
Once your leadership team is on board, it’s time to choose a platform to use. There are a ton of online giving platforms for churches out there, and it can be super overwhelming to choose one. Here are a few of the most important things to look for:
- Mission: Does the mission of the company align with the mission of your church?
- Hidden fees: Make sure that there aren’t any fees hidden in the fine print!
- Free text-to-give: The best online giving platforms include text-to-give for free.
As you do your homework and consider different platforms, keep these factors in mind. To save you some time, here is how our DigiGiv online platform measures up:
- DigiGiv’s mission: Our desire is to provide timely, stable, and innovative resources that will empower you to reach the nations and make disciples. We join with local churches, respecting and highlighting the unique ways each one serves to help grow and strengthen the Kingdom of God.
- DiviGiv has no hidden fees. We keep the cost as low as possible for your church and are honest about everything up front. There is no minimum giving amount or long-term contract required. Plus, we’ve got an industry-low introductory processing rate.
- DigiGiv includes free text-to-give. We’ve got you covered there, too, making it easy for anyone to donate from their smartphone in just seconds. That’s good news in a digital age!
Whether you use DigiGiv or another tool, make sure you have information like that listed above handy when you go to present to your church leadership.
Step 3: Assemble the Info You Need to Set Things Up
Once you’ve sold your church on the shift to online giving, you have to set the stage for the next step in turning that desire into reality. Before you sit down to set up an online giving option for your church, make sure you’ve got all the information you need to apply. It should only take a few minutes to gather what you need and will make the sign-up process faster and easier. You’ll need:
- The legal name of the person who will be the administrator
- A physical address
- An email address
- A phone number
- Your ministry’s bank account information
How easy is that? Once you’ve got everything gathered, move on to step four.
Step 4: Sign up
This might be the easiest part. Once you’ve got all the info you need, it’s time to sign up.
If you choose DigiGiv, and you get stuck, we’re here to help you at any part of the process. We’ll respond promptly through our online chat feature, phone, or e-mail, and we have dozens of instructional videos in our Help Hub.
We want to make the process as seamless and enjoyable as possible, so don’t hesitate to reach out.
Step 5: Customize
With most giving tools, once you’ve signed up for the platform, you can customize your donor link, logo, color scheme, and more. You can also write personalized thank you messages that will automatically be sent to each donor, helping them feel connected and appreciated.
Personalization is a big deal when it comes to things like branding and creating an inclusive experience for your congregation. Take advantage of the customizable options at your disposal, so the qualities that make your ministry unique will shine through.
Kickstarting Your Online Giving
That’s how to get your church started with online giving! Changing the way you’ve always done things can be scary, but the switch online doesn’t have to be a boogeyman, especially if you use a high-quality giving tool to make the process simple.
Just make sure you take the time beforehand to consider how you’ll make the switch. Start with leadership, do your research, gather your info, and then set up your online giving with confidence.