Tithes are for funding the spiritual work in your local church or around the world so you can get an eternal reward. Many Christians have never given a dime to God's house, even though they have attended for years. If you belong to a church, then it is good to give something monthly towards the upkeep of the ministry there. You should also be giving extra if possible. These are specifically mentioned in scripture as being for special uses that benefit not just one person but many people. Christians paid the Tithe in Temple times, and places like Jerusalem were sustained by Godly giving:
- Tithe is an act of worship which means you are worshipping God with what belongs justly to him (Malachi 3:7).
- Tithe is money that you pay to God even when you are in debt. A tithe is the worship of God, and it is a good thing to do (Genesis 14:20).
- Tithe belongs to our Father in heaven (Malachi 3:10). Even now, tithing is a way you can bring glory to God.
- Tithe is for the ministry that the Lord has appointed (1 Corinthians 9:13-14).
- Tithe belongs to faithful pastors and teachers who teach spiritual things (Hebrews 7:5)
Before giving to God, make sure you have first covered your own needs and family needs. Tithes are not a tax but a voluntary gift given freely by choice. Christians should pay Tithe on money made from selling something, whether a house, car or property. These were presented in Temple times, but now it applies to Christian churches, which are the temples of the Holy Spirit. A tithe is for serving God's purpose. These are also used to support missionaries, pastors, teachers, and other Christian workers (Romans 15:16).
Tithes go towards the upkeep of the church building, and it does not belong to any one church or denomination, but it goes into a larger pool that helps out churches worldwide, including your local church.
A tithe is usually 10% of what God has blessed you with back to his kingdom work. You can tithe anytime, anywhere, and anyway, that makes sense for your lifestyle. Tithes' waters will never stop flowing if correctly given back to God. So, let them flow! And remember, no matter how much money you have, God always provides more than enough. Just trust in him!